Thursday, September 26, 2013

Old family photo collage

One of the biggest reasons Tyler and I were excited to purchase a home with more space was to be able to welcome friends and family. Our smaller home couldn't fit our families and friends, and guests sharing our single bathroom created a problem. Let's be honest. We didn't try REAL hard to have people stay with us there.  However, this house already tells another story. "Come on in!"


In our short 5 months at the Northpoint house, we have been blessed to welcome parents, grandparents, extended family and many friends. Dawson is quick to make friends with our guests. :) 
We have hosted small group and dinners, and even thrown a surprise birthday party here. Our home is becoming a place for YOU as well. We are blessed. 

One of my favorite projects I have completed in this welcoming home is my family photo collage. As we seek to create our own story and have all of our loved ones near, it is important to remember our roots. What better place to have our family close than in the heart of our home? 


What did it take to get this project going? First, some legwork in locating family photos. And second, locating some mismatched picture frames to spray paint white and match. 

When I started this project in our first home, I didn't have any of the pictures you see here. However, through a few phone calls and some sweet talking, I had pictures in hand within a couple weeks. A huge thank you goes to my Grandma for sending pictures of her wedding and Grandpa in the army, as well as pictures of my great-grandparents and Grandpa growing up on the farm. Very special is also the photo of Great-grandma Grace (for whom Dawson is named) and Great-Grandpa Edward. 

Also, Aunt Janan for sending oodles of family photos that I had never seen and now have the chance to proudly display. I still chuckle looking at the pictures of my dad and how much I did look like him when I was young. The top two are favorites: my grandparents hugging while Grandpa Charlie is in his military uniform, and Grandpa Charlie looking very GQ. :) 

Finally, Tyler's mom provided photos she had of both his mom and dad's side. For the first time, I had the opportunity to "meet" Tyler's grandparents through the eyes of the camera lens. I can't help but imagine that they would be proud to be a part of our lives and displayed with love in our home alongside us. 

I still have hopes of adding some more as we go--a couple round frames and some more of The Stricklin side. This wall has plenty of space to add more of our history, but as we grow in love, may we also add more of our own story. 
 
Family Photo collage, how I love you. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment