Monday, September 9, 2013

Orange Be Gone

When you have to wear blinders before entering a room, it's probably safe to say that it needs some work. 

Safety cone orange wasn't the color we would be sticking with for Dawson's room...but we knew this was her room very quickly upon finding this house. Even though the color was atrocious, the wainscoting and size just screamed "this room is perfect for baby girl!" A few things we love about this space are the wood floors that are throughout the upstairs hallway and each bedroom, the wainscoting that I mentioned before, the fact that we can see into the room from ours with both doors open, and the fact that it is about the same size as our MASTER bedroom in the first house. 

But the orange...Had. To. Go. 

So not only did we work like crazy in a single weekend in April to get moved in, we also painted Dawson's room to get it ready for her to inhabit it. I could just imagine how difficult it would be to paint her bedroom while she napped if she were napping in there. ;) In my view, we needed to get her space ready so we could do the rest while she was good to go in a finished room. 

Before a box was unpacked or picture hung, we set to work. 

After moving all of the furniture to the center of the room, we brought in the painting supplies and taped off the wainscoting. In order to be as efficient as possible, Tyler cut in and rolled the Greige on top (It's the same color we used in the kitchen) and I made myself right at home on the floor repainting the white wainscoting to freshen it up. 

Before we brought Dawson home to our beautiful mess of a house, I made her bed and put a few of her decorations up. Afterall, we couldn't have her feeling like she didn't have her own space in a new house that was unfamiliar. :)

On the opposite side of the room, we put her toy shelf and started a "grandparent wall" where she could have pictures of her Grandpa and Grandma, Itzu and Papa, and her Nani. She needs to have them close too. :) 

The dresser was a Craigslist find before she was born. In order to add some whimsey to her pink, green, and vintage, I had Tyler paint this masterpiece to match some of the colors from her fabrics and then I went on the hunt for knobs that were "pretty" but mismatched just for fun. 

The "after" was quite different. Nevermind this is a picture from the first house--we just had a better picture of it in her old nursery. 

All in all, the color no longer requires sunglasses and blends nicely with the rest of the house and Dawson's updated vintage bedroom. I have several projects I would like to complete in there such as some serious closet organization, a reading/play area (we currently don't need one due to the use of the neighboring bedroom as a playroom), and some more frames and grandparent candids on her collage wall. 


The room is strikingly similar to her first nursery, but since she only had that room for about 14 months, I wanted to keep it the same for a while longer. 

What's crazy to me is how much bigger this room is. 


And while I have already changed her curtains and have no picture of her grandparents wall, it is now much more "us" and has made Dawson a cozy space to call her own. 

I love decorating. So so so much. If only I had endless funds so I could do it all the time. :) You guys could very well get sick of me and my house updates. Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment